You don’t know everything. There, I said it.
But do you know why I said it? Mainly because there are two types of people that I frequently encounter.
The first type is people who stopped trying to learn anything new when they finished high school or maybe college. That’s the last time they read a book.
The second type is people that are constant, life-long learners. They can’t get enough and are infinitely curious. I’m swimming in this pool.
Which Type Are You?
The first type, where education stops when school ends? Or the second type, who are on their own DIY curriculum?
There’s probably a third too, which is a hybrid. These are people that learn, but only when there is a problem encountered that they have to solve. A Google search is their best friend.
You Don’t Know What You Don’t Know
“You don’t know what you don’t know.” My friend Greg Kitson says this all the time. He’s right. One of the main reasons I like talking to Greg, and really anybody for that matter, is to get their viewpoint on things.
What have they tried that worked?
Better, what have they tried that failed? Why did it fail? What did they learn?
Where’s the struggle?
2022 Is Around the Corner
I was just speaking with someone yesterday about events for next year. They were telling me that they weren’t considering going to trade shows or any other industry shindig next year because “full attendance isn’t back yet.”
I think that is foolish.
Sure, eight gazillion people won’t be walking around. Yet, the people that actually do show up, whether they are manning a booth or visiting one, absolutely want to do business.
They want to mingle. Talk shop. Discover someone else’s struggle.
Because if you are sluicing for gold in the knowledge river, that’s how you discover that nugget that will work for you.
I want to know what you know.
By the way, if you see me, let’s have a discussion on these items:
Top Things I Want To Know About
- How can I help you? Yes. You.
- New technology. Why is it better? Show it to me or explain it.
- What book are you reading?
- Workflow challenges in your shop that you need to resolve?
- What new government regulations are affecting you in a positive or negative way?
- How are you overcoming the hiring challenge?
- What are you doing to differentiate your business in your marketplace?
- Contract vs Retail. What percentage do you handle for either of these?
- What is your favorite tool in your shop and why?
- New software. Better? Faster? More automation?
- What is the biggest decision you had to make in 2021? What about 2022?
- What KPIs are you tracking and why?
- How are you training your employees?
- What is eating your time?
Want to Talk Shop?
I’d love to grab some time at a trade show or just a simple phone call. Book a time that is convenient for you here.
“The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing.” – Socrates
“If you don’t know where you are going any road will get you there.” – Lewis Carroll
“How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?” – Satchel Paige
Help Support This Blog
If you like this blog and would like to support it, you can:
- Buy a book.
- Share this blog on your social media.
- Join Shirt Lab Tribe.
- Subscribe to the Success Stories podcast.
- Watch and like an episode on the Jerzees Adventures in Apparel Decorating YouTube series.
- Get signed up for the new Production Tracker app.